The Apple iPhone was released today. Yes, that's "phone" as in cellphone, and "i" as in iPod. Much anticipated and wildly rumoured, the countdown officially starts now as to how I long I will be able to resist before getting one. I lasted two years before buying my first iPod, a Third Generation model with touch sensitive buttons and black and white display, a resistance based on an initially dismissive attitude towards the product that I now am completely unable to place; I have upgraded I don't know how many times, proud owner of a 5G 60GB iPod able to play offerings from both Radio Sri Chinmoy AND Sri Chinmoy TV.
Here is an overview of the iPhone's features. Links to photos and articles are below.
- 11.6 millimetres thick
- 3.5-inch 480 x 320 touchscreen display (with multi-touch support and a proximity sensor to turn off the sensor when it's close to your face)
- 2 megapixel cam
- 4GB or 8 GB of storage
- Bluetooth with EDR and A2DP
- WiFi that automatically engages when in range
- quadband GSM radio with EDGE
- it RUNS OS X with support for Widgets, Google Maps, and Safari, and iTunes
- a partnership with Yahoo will allow free push IMAP email
- 5 hours of battery life quoted for talk or video; a full 16 hours in music mode